Thursday, April 11, 2013

James Sandoe compiler. Dorothy Sayers: Lord Peter (1972)

      James Sandoe compiler. Dorothy Sayers: Lord Peter (1972) All the published Wimsey stories, plus “Tallboys”, an unpublished one. A delight for the Sayers fan, and a torture for those whose snobbishness balks at her frank admiration of Lord Peter. Sandoe’s introduction is competent if a trifle too admiring; and Carolyn Heilbrunn’s closing essay isn’t much better in tone, but it adds a few bits of necessary information, and reminds her fans that Sayers’ other career as translator, scholar, and theologian was as important as her command of detective fiction, and in her own eyes more so. E C Bentley’s “Greedy Night,” a wonderful and affectionate satire, rounds out the volume.
      Well, what can I say? I like Sayers’ books very much, including her theological writings, and unlike many (apparently) male readers, I like both Lord Peter and Harriet Vane. I suppose I admire Harriet’s unwillingness to let gratitude for her rescue by Lord Peter (Strong Poison) cloud her judgment of her own feelings, an attempt that actually prevents her from recognising that she loves Peter. It’s not until Gaudy Night, after all, that she comes to realise her feelings are not tainted by gratitude. Since this volume was compiled and the essays written, Sayers’ illegitimate son has been discovered; Thrones, Dominions has been completed by Jill Walsh; and Sayers’ academic reputation has been revived. But that has no effect on the pleasure of rereading these stories. **** (2003)

No comments:

I'm an old man now (A poem)

 A Poem I’m an old man now. The weight of my memories bears down on my days. The truck there carries freight, I carry my thoughts. They pool...