Sunday, September 29, 2013

K. K. Beck. Murder in a Mummy Case (1986)

     K. K. Beck. Murder in a Mummy Case (1986) I did find another Iris Cooper/Jack Clancy case. This one’s set in a California mansion to which Iris has been invited by a college guy who wants to marry her. The period setting (1928) is a bit off, as is often the case when a writer can’t get the language quite right. It’s really quite difficult to mimic the usages and registers of a bygone age.
     The body of a pretty girl is stuffed into a mummy case, but the obvious suspect turns out to be innocent. As usual, money is the underlying motive: her husband wanted to marry the college guy’s sister, a ditzy pseudoblond with altogether too high an opinion of herself. Iris recovers from her initial infatuation with the college guy and ends in Jack Clancy’s arms. Is this a conclusion or a beginning? I don’t know, as I’ve not seen any other books by Beck. Harmless and pleasant confection. ** (2007)

No comments:

Visual and other illusions

   Visual illusions vary. Some can be controlled. For example, I find that once I’ve seen both images in a dual-image illusion, I can see ei...