Monday, June 03, 2019

Love and Loss: the Rhythm of Life.

     Lauren Carter. Following Sea (2019) Lauren is a friend. Don’t think that makes this review any easier.
     I read this sequence of poems almost at one sitting. It’s a page turner, unusual for a poetry collection. Several things kept me reading: the story of some of Lauren’s ancestors pieced together from the fragments revealed in the poems; Lauren’s grief for her childlessness, which surfaces partway through; Lauren’s skill with the sound of language, there’s much alliteration and internal rhyming, and a loose, wave-like rhythm.
     The setting for most of these poems is Manitoulin Island. Lauren’s evocation of that place and its history impressed me.
     I recommend this book. ***

No comments:

I'm an old man now (A poem)

 A Poem I’m an old man now. The weight of my memories bears down on my days. The truck there carries freight, I carry my thoughts. They pool...