Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Spike Milligan at War

 

 





Spike Milligan. Adolf Hitler, My Part in His Downfall (1971), Rommel: Gunner Who? (1975), Monty, His Part in My Victory (1976), Mussolini, His Part in My Downfall (1978). Milligan’s “war biography”. There were three more books, which I haven’t found yet. Milligan was drafted into the Royal Artillery, rose to the rank of Lance Bombardier (corporal), and in Italy was demoted by a career martinet of a Major. He also suffered shell shock. The last book ends with his spending time in a psychiatric ward.
     The first volume has a good deal of The Goon Show in it, but as time and the war progress the tone becomes more realistic and darker. Milligan still attempts humour, but it feels more and more like a defence against the madness that surrounds him and that begins to affect his psyche. He suffered from bipolar disorder for the rest of his life; there is some evidence that the war either triggered or worsened it.
As records of how the war felt to a fighting soldier, these books are priceless. I read them compulsively. My uncle served with the Warwickshire Mounted Infantry in North Africa. Milligan’s book gave me some taste of what it was like for him, too. Recommended. ****

No comments:

A Memoir (World War II)

  Planes glide through the air like fish      Before I knew why airplanes stayed up, I thought they glided through the air like fish thro...