Saturday, August 01, 2020

Design in the 1960s

Alan Fletcher, Colin Forbes, Bob Gill. Graphic Design: Visual Comparisons (1963) One of a series published by Reinhold Studio Vista, pleasant to look at, useful for anyone interested in design, and collectively a good documentation of 1960s design theory and practice. The designs have worn well: the 60s have cast a long shadow, perhaps because designers explored the technical boundaries of their craft.
     Here, we see mostly advertising and related messaging in print. Notions of suitability and decorum gave way to the realisation that the design of messages succeeded when it drew attention and conveyed much meaning with the least possible means. The digital revolution has merely made it easier to do what these people did by hand. As with photography, reducing the craft skill for mastering the medium has shifted the focus to content and context. McLuhan claimed that the medium is the message. Contemplating how technology has made messaging easier, I’d say that the medium determines the message.
     I’ve looked through this book several times in the 40-odd years I’ve owned it, and each time I’ve seen things I did not notice before. But mostly, it’s reminded me, once again, that the world we inhabit is designed. The environment shapes us. The designers both make and are made by the environment they design. ***


No comments:

A Memoir (World War II)

  Planes glide through the air like fish      Before I knew why airplanes stayed up, I thought they glided through the air like fish thro...